Monday, September 12, 2011

Should I take the job


Should I take the job?
I was laid off months ago because my then employer lost several clients. I loved the job but it required a lot of hours and was a bit stressful. I now have a temporary/freelance maybe permanent job. I don't know if they'll offer me a full-time (w/benefits) job. I'm a bit bored by this job, but there's little stress. Now my previous employer wants to hire me back. What should I do? And if I do accept it, what kinds of negotiations should I discuss? So, should I take the job?
Other - Careers & Employment - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Stress level, hours, pay, seniority (against layoff)....
2 :
I'm a once-bitten-twice-shy kind of gal. You let me go, I'm not coming back. You say your old job was great but it was stressful. Would it be worth it to you to go back, even though that means you are "most recently hired" and likely first in line for lay-offs? How often did lay-offs occur at the company and how often do lay-offs occur in your line of work? It's not fun to be in a boring job. Is there something you can change at your current job to make it more interesting? Just as an example, since I don't know what you do: there was a group of women help desk employees who were constantly getting complaint calls (that is their job, after all) and a lot of them were getting worn pretty thin. Until one day, when they were all complaining and telling all the horrible calls they had, one lady said, "Hey, why don't we see who gets the worst caller of the day and then we vote on those as worst call of the week?" It worked. Morale shot up through the roof. The ladies were excited to get irate customers, the more irate the better! They ended up having a much more positive outlook on their job and they actually got to know one another very well and became friends (and they lived happily ever after). Anyhow, it worked for them, and I was wondering if there is something you can do about the boredom. In the end, you will do what is best for you, and I hope you can make a decision soon that you are happy with. Good luck


 Read more discussions :