Thursday, January 24, 2008

How much should I charge per hour


How much should I charge per hour?
I am a writer, editor, photographer and graphic designer with six years experience and an English degree. I have worked in journalism, media relations and, more recently, for a research center at a major university. I am beginning to take on a freelance job with a new client. This will be my first side job and I have always been salaried for this kind of work. How do I determing how much to charge per hour for my services? I will be doing ad design for print, web design and editing, and developing print materials, such as brochures and booklets.
Technology - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I'm not sure what you can get for that. My advice would be to go to a site like this: http://www.calcxml.com/do/pay03 and convert what your annual salary used to be to an hourly salary and charge something similar to that.
2 :
depends on the competition, check it out.
3 :
You were paid a certain amount per month for your previous salary, right? You will now be looking for a raise if you were looking for a new salaried job, right? Keeping this new figure in mind, break it down to an hourly rate. This should give you a figure to charge for an hour. For eg: If you feel you are worth Rs.30,000 / month. 30,000 / 26 = 1153.8 /day (considering a 6 day work week) 1153.8 / 8 = 144.2 / hour (considering 8 hours work per day) Converting to US dollars we get 144.2 / 40 = $3.6 / hour This is quite low for a foreign project but is good to get started. Once you get a name for yourself you can definitely charge much higher. The range usually goes like $5 to $30 per hour or even higher.
4 :
You can register at freelance website like http://definitivelab.com/ and start bidding for all graphic designing projects posted there. Initially bid as low as possible