Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I decided not to go back to work after my baby was born. My employer wants a termination letter. Should I



I decided not to go back to work after my baby was born. My employer wants a termination letter. Should I?
I was hoping they would agree to a mutual release, as they have been letting a ton of people go and I assume they'd be just as happy to lose my salary. That way I could collect unemployment until I'm ready to leave the baby and go back to work. They won't do that for me, which is fine - but I have a freelance job set up for the month of October and I'm hoping I may be able to collect after that job ends. If I give my employer a letter will that hurt my chances of being able to collect? I want to leave on good terms, but I don't want to be stupid. I guess I need to be clearer for Erinyes and BoRemmington American (thank you both for taking the time to answer me). I worked. I paid into unemployment. I'm not trying to fraud, I'm trying to find out what I'm entitled to so that I can spend as much time raising my own child, work when I find freelance assignments that allow me to do that and collect in between. I don't want to stay at a job that requires me to be at work from 9 to 7 every day. I have no interest in someone else raising my child. However, I also need to pay bills - which is why I have found a freelance job for a month and as I look for more jobs such as that - I would like to collect my unemployment benefits since I have paid into that system.
Government - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
State rules vary, but if you resigned your position you could either trigger a time penalty for collecting unemployment, or disqualify yourself entirely. The lack of a resignation letter won't stop your employer from claiming you quit, the letter just makes it ironclad.
2 :
Consult a lawyer. That is the safest way to go. Why are you trying to collect money instead of working? If you need the money then perhaps you should return to work and wait for them to terminate you with the cut backs.Then you can collect freely and legitimately.
3 :
CONGRATULATIONS on your baby ! I mean no disrespect to you, but collecting un-employment and not actively looking for work is fraud and is similar to welfare.I am only basing this on what information you provided. PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION . Why should the taxpayers and your former employer pay for your vacation ?
4 :
Well actually the termination letter, could be to your benefit. If you give notice, which the termination letter does. It will allow you to be rehired at that company at a later date. If you just quit, most companies will not hire you back. Leaving voluntarily, generally means you will not be able to collect unemployment. Although some states, will pay a limited unemployment after a waiting period, if you have a good enough reason for leaving



 Read more discussions :