Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can I get a job as a software developer



Can I get a job as a software developer?
I am attending community college for a AAS degree in computer science. I am looking to start a career as a java develpoer. Can I get hired out of community college. I also plan to freelance some projects before finishing college. What are my chances with AAS degree Jason you live in a bad market. The IT field (developers) is exploding in South FL and that field is expected to grow at a huge rate each year. I have 2 friends pulling 120k and 70k.
Technology - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
This is not the answer you will want to hear, but even with a B.S. it will be tough. It is just too easy for companies to source out that kind of work to India/Russia/China where programmers with advanced degrees make about $6/hr and can live great on it. I have an AAS, 4 months to finish a B.S. and 15 years of IT experience and I'm in my 4th month of unemployment right now and have applied for well over 100 jobs and come up with nothing... I have even been applying for help desk jobs which are typically the lowest paying jobs, but the IT field in the US isn't what it used to be.... The kinds of IT jobs that will stick around are jobs like field service technician, fixing hardware and software on ATM's...stuff like that which can't be shipped away.
2 :
It is possible, depending on how good you are at what you do. If you are really smart, you will need a very lucky break to get some experience on your resume. If you don't know what you are doing though, I highly recommend going to school to get your bachelor degree, and learn more. There are enough clueless programmers out there whose code I have to clean and fix cause they keep messing up! :-| Good luck :)
3 :
Yes sure you can. I suggest to start step by step. You may consider part time jobs and interships in small business till you have enough experience to work with larger companies. It will depend on you performance in these jobs to reach your goal eventually.



Read more discussions :