Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Practicality/Logistics of taking on Freelance positions while on Unemployment


The Practicality/Logistics of taking on Freelance positions while on Unemployment?
Has anyone taken on a freelance project, week or month-long, while getting unemployment? Do you: 1.) On my State's (wa) claim website, do I click the "I worked freelance this week" radio button while making my online weekly claim or 2.) Do I just simply not do my weekly claim for the weeks I worked? And final question: The unemployment money that you didn't receive in lieu of doing freelance work - do you get this money back to you anyway? The U.I. statement I just got from the State says I've been approved for no more than something like: $9,012 over some months. And I might need that full amount, if, even earning the freelance money, my unemployment still drags on after that. The thing is: The freelance jobs I'd be working *won't* turn into a full time job. So if I'm not going to be recouped the U.I. checks that I'm "losing" during the freelance work week, I'd rather not freelance at all, and use that time instead to job-search. And, I would also rather use that freelancing time to learn new programming languages for better full-time job marketability! Thanks, Steve It's possible to misunderstand 2.) if you don't read carefully. When I say, "don't file a weekly claim", that means, "don't try to get money from the state, because I've worked freelance".
Other - Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Answer number 2. The unemployment $$ that you did not claim will be available at the end of your unemployment claim. Whether you freelance or not is your decision. If you do not claim $$ in that week, it doesn't matter to UI what you are doing. Remember that your benefit claim year is different than the regular year. So always file another claim when your first one runs out. You may have worked enough time in the required quarters (or earned enough money) to be able to open a new claim for another benefit year.
2 :
Hmmmmm Sounds like you want to go to jail. Well, I meant prison since you will be convicted of theft and fraud. And that is what will happen if you are caught not claiming you work. Unemployed means no job-----freelance is a job, so you are not unemployed. You may be underemployed, but not unemployed. It depends on your state laws on whether you can claim for the difference between work and unemployment. Best Answer is go to UPS and try to get a job. The shifts are 4 hours long, they pay for medical, 401K and tuition reimbursement. This is the time of the year to do it. You could almost work around the clock. Again- do yourself a favor, stay out of prison


 Read more discussions :