Friday, August 8, 2008

As a recent college grad who majored in Journalism, what is the best way to jumpstart my career? I need a job


As a recent college grad who majored in Journalism, what is the best way to jumpstart my career? I need a job!
I have a little freelance writing experience, and I graduated from a great school in Ohio. The job market is pretty dry around my town, and I'm stretching to find entry level media positions. I can't seem to figure out where and how to start my career path in journalism (writing/editing).
Cleveland - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Peace Corp
2 :
I have two suggestions 1. Read The Well Fed Writer. It's a classic. 2. Visit the forum at http://www.aboutfreelancewriting.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl There are jobs posted there regularly and a supportive community. Maybe I'll see you there. :-)
3 :
I heard that if you are a pretty girl with your creditioals, be a weatherperson on TV. If you aint realy good to look at, then I have no idea. Good luck!
4 :
put your resume out there to any company newstation etc. There has got to be someone looking for a journalist. start http://www.ap.org/apjobs/index.html http://about.reuters.com/careers/ Two major news agencies.
5 :
wow are you really having that much trouble? I'm a senior in high school and I'm actually pursuing the same career as you. I think I might actually have a good idea for you even if I'm younger and you learned more. Go to this link:http://dir.yahoo.com/News_and_Media/Journalism/Organizations/?b=0. Explore it. OR maybe join a guild or association and they'll help you out! You're my hero! Good luck, tell us if we can read your work anywhere! :)
6 :
Apply to all of the big 3 letter agencies. Have two resumes one that markets you as a Journalist and one that markets you as a Research Analyst. Create a blog that gives you a creative reference. Also, you could search on Radio and TV stations in areas you would like to live then apply directly on their websites



 Read more discussions :