Saturday, July 12, 2008

How should I start as a freelance writer



How should I start as a freelance writer?
I am a shy, introvert person. I have little qualities beyond writing. I prefer indoors life so I am looking for some job to do from home, something creative. I hate routine... I think I write nice stuff, miniatures are my specialty... short pieces of poetry, prose sketches, rhymed lines... English is not my native language but I understand and use it quite well... I think... Could I use my writing skills somehow, in a simple way for a beginner? How should I start? Any advice would help. Thank you.
Books & Authors - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You could get in touch with a publisher, work on editing pieces of writing, see where you go from there.
2 :
The first step is to join a writing class or group. This will help you hone your skills and put you in touch with fellow writers. Usually people are happy to share their experiences and give tips. Sometimes classes have published authors or newspaper editors come to give guest talks. The second step is to obtain a copy of a book called "The Writers Marketplace" this will tell you what various magazines (which would probably be your major market), publishers and agents are looking for. Also consider entering as many writing competitions as you can find.
3 :
Find writing projects in http://www.scriptlance.com/?ref=ilyesoft . There are a lot of them, you can work at home and receive your payment. Good luck !
4 :
Your best route is to start subscribing to some writing newsletters and visit the accompanying sites to get an idea what is involved. It may take awhile to get established as a writer - perhaps years - before you build up a reputation and editors start to assign you work. You might consider taking some writing courses, grammar etc. You get affiliated with a local college, they may be able to refer you jobs under their job placement program. I also recommend getting a copy of The Writers Market and copies of the magazine The Writer's Digest, and The Writer. One newsletter is the The Obsessed Writers Group Newsletter. Visit the website at www.freewebs.com/obsessedwriters. There is a link on the home to subscribe to the 2x monthly newsletter.
5 :
Check out Associated Content. You can earn a little money for your stuff as well as network with other writers for help. http://www.associatedcontent.com


 Read more discussions :