Friday, August 1, 2008

How much experience do I need to be a freelance copywriter


How much experience do I need to be a freelance copywriter?
I'm thinking about being a freelance copywriter (part-time at first of course.) I'm a pretty good writer and I've taken lots of classes and have done lots of research but how much experience do you actually have to have before you start applying for jobs? One more thing, I do keep a blog for the company where I am employed full time, (not as a copywriter, I do other things) does that count for anything or should I not even mention it?
Small Business - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Everybody has to start somewhere, so go ahead and apply. I'd suggest a cover letter or email expressing your interest and being honest about your lack of experience. Any samples of your writing you can supply would be helpful; I'd definitely mention the blog, as you can give the address for it and the person can check it out if they like. A couple of pieces of advice about freelancing: make sure you can discipline yourself to work and meet deadlines--meeting deadlines is at least as important as the quality of your work. Keep track of everything and remember that whatever rate you are being paid should cover your taxes (including a big bite for SS taxes) and other expenses that an employer might cover (e.g., health insurance, retirement savings



 Read more discussions :