Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Job search may call for relocation, how does that work anyway (repost)


Job search may call for relocation, how does that work anyway (repost)?
I graduated college in graphic design/animation last May. I'm a seasonal employee that does a job somewhat related to my field at Six Flags where I work from the beginning of April until the beginning of November. So right now, I'm unemployed sense the parks closed for the winter. If worse comes to worse, there's a good chance of me going back when it opens at the end of March (I already sent in my return employee paperwork to my boss last January). I've been job searching sense August and all I got was like five interviews, and maybe a freelance job coming up soon; no luck. I live in St. Louis, MO, and right now, I'm looking at jobs outside my city and even outside my state. Say, when I send out tons more resumes and I happen to get an interview that's like 1000 miles away? How can I prepare for that, and how does that work, because I don't have a lot money now, so how can I afford a plane ticket and stay several nights at a hotel? For anyone, what is your experience in relocating to find a better job? How did you get through, and how could you afford it if you were unemployed at the time?
Other - Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well, I'll tell you from my own experience. It's not a standard practice for companies to call up someone 1000 miles away to invite him/her for an interview. Such happens, but it tends to be for managerial positions. They may call you if you fit their need, and they have screened out all the local candidates first, then they may seek someone out of state. It's not a nice world out there. Need to get used to it. Mark M: What line of work do you happen to be in to be treated as such?
2 :
Many companies recruit collage graduates and skilled professionals nation wide. If they invite you to an interview, they will arrange for an airline ticket and motel. You may have to rent a car, but they will reimburse you. You can also charge dinner. I have moved eight times and six of the times, they paid for the moving van. And one time they bought my house. But the first move, you will have to pay for the U-Haul truck


 Read more discussions :