Sunday, March 1, 2009

How do you become a freelance mercenary


How do you become a freelance mercenary?
I researched mercenaries and found that the mercenary job is a freelance job that has become corporate. To be a mercenary the requirements are usually three years in the military with an honorable discharge and some sort of college education. I want to know how to be a true freelance mercenary. Like, without the requirements and corporate bull crap. My question is this: Can you do it? Can you be a mercenary without joining something like Blackwater or Global Dynamics or something? I was thinking actually something along the lines of assassin or something. I don't know. It's just, how do you do it? What I want to know how to do: Be able to kill, fight, steal, etc. for money. How? If you could help that would be cool. And if anything, at least tell me how I would go about getting myself out there without being arrested. EDIT: I don't want to do this in real life. It's for a story I'm writing. So seriously, don't arrest me, cuz I wouldn't really kill or steal or whatever. My character would, though. I just want my story to be as accurate as possible. So I need to know how my character would have gone about becoming a mercenary and/or getting herself 'out there.' So once again, help would be great. :)
Military - 10 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You need military experience to become a Mercinary period. If you don't have military experience then you WILL get yourself killed. Have your characted join the Marines or some type of special forces unit. Generally having special forces type experience helps alot.
2 :
Create some sort of guild that teaches millitia tactics etc. then invent a way yourself for your character do become a merc.
3 :
Read Dogs of War by Frederick Forsyth
4 :
mercenaries have always been (sorta) "corporate." in the american revolution there were german mercenaries. these were german conscripts whose services were sold to england. heck even the romans used mercenaries.
5 :
Go to Somalia, they are in the mercenary/piracy business!
6 :
A Mercenary is a dangerous job. You could come home looking like a piece of Swiss cheese.
7 :
Not sure, but I heard in the Soldier Of Fortune magazine they have ads for mercenaries or guns for hire. Or maybe look for someone who was in Special Ops. Eq: Marine Corps RECON, US Navy SEALS...those guys would be great mercenaries if they chose to once there time in the service was up. They train for all kinds of fu*ked up scenarios.
8 :
Bottom line: You need military experience. Going through several military schools such as Armys Airborne school, Ranger School Navy's BUD/s program Air Force's SERE school (extremely useful) would help a lot.
9 :
Well, generally most mercenaries have military or police experience. They may have been Marines, or in any kind of special forces, or been a cop or even been in a SWAT unit. This makes a mercenary well trained, and experienced and thus very valuable. I don't really think mercenaries can be "freelance", as they're usually associated with corperations like Blackwater USA, but I could be wrong.
10 :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Hall



 Read more discussions :