Thursday, March 12, 2009

Should I become a freelance artist officially



Should I become a freelance artist officially?
For a while, my artwork has been nothing more then a hobby. I have decided that I want to pursue being an illustrator – currently I take art classes at my college. In order to make some extra money for school/other needs, I have sold artwork or have done paid commissions. I have been informed that I would at this time be considered a hobbyist because I don’t make that much money off of it. But recently I’ve entered into an art contest and won - now I have people asking me to do artwork for them. One in particular was a book author wondering if I would do a couple of book covers for him (his books are published by Llewellyn Publications). So because of this new promising offer, I wonder if I should take myself beyond being just a hobby artist? Should I get a business license? And if so, what kind? How scary is it doing taxes? I also work a student worker job at the college that I go to; will that make doing my taxes more difficult?
Other - Visual Arts - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Sure go for it! I work full time in an inhouse design team...but run an indie freelance design studio on the side..... *the MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do for yourself is to ALWAYS USE A CONTRACT! coming in second: DO not do work for cheap OR free! No more contests for you! It's insulting to our industry! learn more: http://www.no-spec.com You should visit gag.org and look into getting their pricing and ethical guidelines books... The AIGA will also offer great industry best practices. Make sure you do a ton of research and properly market yourself! Do you have a website? Thats important of course! Get that folio together! For the best info on all this visit the Graphic Design Forum: http://www.graphicdesignforum.com Good luck its a wonderful field. *edit something to ad! :) * It isn't REQUIRED that you get a state license, but it doesn't hurt. I don't have one. I report everything I make for taxes using 1099 forms. I track all my design business purchases and write them off at the end of the year. You should hire an accountant to keep things in order, and help w/ your taxes. He's never told me I need a state license.....I'm still small though, part time. When I can finally go full-time and quit my day job - thats when I'll go to the state and follow small business startup procedures.
2 :
Welcome to the field of Art. Yes you will need a state license for tax exemption on material, etc. The yearly business/personal tax should be done by an accountant or service. You will then have someone to stand behind you if the Government comes after you. DON'T be scared we all have to go through this. Valerie has the right idea, do research, learn about the business and how to reach clients. Luck in your chosen profession. Spartawo...
3 :
I think you should go for it, i mean some of us don't get great opportunities like that. But don't quit your college job just incase you need some extra cash. Well good luck



 Read more discussions :