Friday, March 20, 2009

Leaving current job after 6 months



Leaving current job after 6 months?
I used to be a bit of a job hopper in my 20's and when I hit my 30's I knew it was time to buckle down. For about 2.5 years I was a secretary at company #1 (Oct 2003 - Apr 2006). I left #1 for another opportunity that wasn't secretarial and got caught up in layoffs of company #2, 8 mos later (Dec 2006). I was on unemployment for a few mos and found a great freelance job at company #3 (Apr 2007) where I stayed for little under a year (Mar 2008). The thing with #3 is it was freelance and when I first started, I was working in their e-commerce group. Things in the dept changed and I got moved to email marketing. I did not enjoy email marketing and when I knew I couldn't go back to my original work, I found another position with company #4 (Apr 2008). Well #4 promised me lots of creative projects but I got involved with their email marketing and I'm the only one doing it. Btw, #4 knew I was leaving #3 because I didn't feel email marketing was my fit. I've been at #4 for only 6 months and I'm so unhappy. Turns out company #3 just offered me my original job plus more responsibilities and I accepted. Now I feel guilty and I feel like a job hopper. Should I stay at #4? #3 wants me to start ASAP but I feel guilty towards #4. Sorry. I know this is long winded but I'm more unsure to leave because I don't want to be a job hopper. However, am I a job hopper if I'm going back to my old company? If I stayed there for a year before, I know I can stay there again just as long, even longer! Besides I enjoy freelance work because I've had the job hopper history. And I don't even know what to say to my current boss. I can't seem to hand in my notice! Phew - thanks!
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
go back to 3 and if it doesn't work out ......leave.....so what....be happy.......work is a big part of life so you need to enjoy it
2 :
Well, if you really enjoyed your work at job #3 before you left and liked working for that company then I would say do it. If they are offering you the job you enjoyed but don't like where you are now, then just go for it. Tell your current job that your past employer offered you your old job back and you really could not turn it down. If you are really unhappy where you are at and don't enjoy what you are doing, why not do something you do enjoy. Sit down and talk with your boss and let them know your position and where you are coming from. You may be surprised that he/she will understand your position.
3 :
No, go for it.. go for #3. It's how I feel. They are already offering you something you had in mind and more, and it's a great opportunity. Don't miss it. Don't call yourself a "job-hopper". It was what it was, and on your resume you can always present things in a positive way and work on providing healthy explanations. However, you don't have to do this now, since you have the job on hand. Congrats! I would say go for it. But don't burn any bridges and leave in the most politest way. Have an honest talk with the manager. They will appreciate it even if they might be a lil inconvenienced. Thank them very much for the opportunity. I kinda feel what u r saying, because I myself tend to give-up a little sooner if conditions aren't right. I think it does help to stick on and do your best for a while. BUT, there's a balance needed too. It's you who has to determine what's most important to you. A stable income and long tenure, or happiness at ur job. If we can get both (and sometimes we just have to work at it...since no job really will be "perfect"....and everyone has to make adjustments) then it is great. It's always good to go for an industry you have a liking for. And see your values match with the company values too. Goodluck. Go for it I say



 Read more discussions :