Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Need a FT job that pays $32K


Need a FT job that pays $32K+?
I am seeking a full-time job that has a starting pay of at least $32-36K per year, in order to afford my rent and bills. I have a bachelor's degree in English, and specialize in writing, journalism and public relations - I also have some experience with news websites. I have also had a few part-time hospitality-style jobs ... front desk clerk at a gym, and greeter/check-in agent for a cruise line. I've applied to some local banks and hotels, but I don't think that they would offer the pay scale I'm looking for. I would absolutely take on a weekend job or freelance writing gigs to make up the difference for a job that paid high $20Ks, low $30Ks as well. For reference, I live in Northern New Jersey, about 5 miles outside of Manhattan. You obviously don't have to suggest any particular jobs, but maybe you can give me an idea of general places I should be applying to (universities, real estate agencies, etc.). I'd be grateful for any good ideas. I can't become a teacher right now, because it's only February. Plus I'm not certified (I realize I could probably go to a Catholic school) and can't afford to go back to school right now.
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Unfortunately, English degrees aren't too helpful when looking for a job. My sister in law had the same problem, and she is a published writer. Good luck.
2 :
I live in Texas, and know nothing about NJ or NY, but I would strongly recommend that you begin your job search with a temporary employment agency, such as: Modis, Segue Staffing, Millenium Personnel Corp, etc, or even Yahoo's Hot Jobs website and/or Monster.com. These agencies usually do extensive testing of your skills, and the recruiters can help look at your education and experience and recommend "hot" jobs in your areas. As I don't know your location as well as you, check your local phone book for temporary staffing agencies or staffing agencies, and call a few. Anytime I've gone through a career change, this is what I've done, and sometimes the temporary jobs have led to permanent employment... other times, I've at least found a direction that I wanted to go in once meeting with staffing professionals. Hope this helps!
3 :
Why don't you become a teacher. They start at about $35,000



 Read more discussions :