Monday, January 16, 2012

How do I quit my job


How do I quit my job?
For the last 5 years I've been working with a newspaper company designing website for $35,000 a year. I also have my own business as freelance website designer that earns me 3 times Im earning with the newspaper company. I plan to quit the newspaper company and concentrate more on my business. I don't know what would be my excuse of quittijng. They don't know about my freelance work and I don't intend to tell them about it. My other alternative is to tell them someone gave me an offer I can't refuse. I want to leave the company with good intentions since i've worked with good people so I want to give an excuse that won't hurt their feelings. Any suggestions?
Yahoo! Search - 8 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
take the alternative
2 :
i'm confused, why do you need an excuse? You can really leave a good company "with good intentions" if you plan on LYING to them. They don't really need an excuse, they can ask but you don't have to provide that information. Honestly, I don't see what's so wrong about leaving to focus on your own business... it happens all the time in the working world. just write a letter giving your two weeks notice, and then include the information about your freelance business if you want. they could end up becoming clients of yours!
3 :
If you dont want to hurt thier feelings then no excuses. Your not breaking up with a girlfriend, this is your job and should be treated as such. If you are cool with everyone there and your job the POLITE thing to do would be to talk one on one with your boss and even offer to extend the normal two week notice period to a month.
4 :
Just say to your boss i have worked here to long already i know i know 5 years but i am getting tired of doing this so i quit, i am going to find a better job that doesnt get so boring like this one but a nicer way is say this look ( the boss's name ) i know we had good times working together but you know i am mostly here the time and i really need to get out so i am quitting i am so sorry if its bringing you doqn bu its the right thing to do! Then just walk out thats exactly what to do EXACTLY!
5 :
Do you really need an "excuse"? You have a very valid REASON: You have a better opportunity elsewhere. Give them your letter of resignation and say that you've found a position that allows you more growth and a higher income than your current position. Give them positive remarks like "While I've completely enjoyed working with you", "The staff here is extremely friendly, competant, and supportive", and be sure to thank them for the opportunities they've given you. The worst case scenario is that they'll try to up your salary to keep you. The best case scenario is that they accept it graciously and you move on.
6 :
tell them you want a career change and that you want to do something different give them a two week notice.leave on good terms.
7 :
You can tell them that you've got another opportunity, but they will probably be curious about your new job and ask questions. You could tell them that you are planning on starting your own business. Why don't you want to tell them the truth? Was there something in your contract that could cause problems if they knew about it? If not then they would probably wish you well. Honesty is always the best policy. Good luck.
8 :
You are weird. If they don't pay high then just leave. OR just tell them that you need more money to support family no, and it is time to get a job with better salary. Just tell them you need money now. Are you feel guilty of stealing company time to your your freelance work



 Read more discussions :