Thursday, January 8, 2009

Unemployment benefits and freelance work in New York State


Unemployment benefits and freelance work in New York State?
I got laid off from job in mid July (two weeks ago) where I worked for 15 months. The company agreed to pay for the extra two weeks after I got laid off, so now that I was just about to apply for the unemployment check someone contacted me for some freelance work for a month starting from August 1st which will pay for about $6000. Does this mean that I'll lose the right to receive unemployment checks forever if I take this freelance job? Or I'll still be able to receive the unemployment check after the job is finished which is from September? Any thoughts on this?? Please help!!
United States - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you qualify for unemployment benefits, you MUST report any earnings during the period you are claiming the benefits (generally on a weekly basis). You may or may not lose all of the benefits.
2 :
The loss of benefits should only apply to the time you're doing the freelance job. Your best move might be to go ahead and apply now for benefits, but report the freelance job when you're asked to report if you are working



 Read more discussions :