Sunday, December 28, 2008

How do I become a freelance journalist



How do I become a freelance journalist?
I've got 5 years of Political Science and Economics under my belt. Always done very well in english classes. I'm a gifted writer. I want a job n journalism after I graduate and am also thinking of starting my own magazine. How would I go about any of this? Nice, hows the standard of living? I would think write in cafe, then report in foreign nation. Boots on ground.
Media & Journalism - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Well you need to know how to use the Journalism type of programs like in-design i believe and in style or something. But it would be best to have a portfolio of your work like a blog site or if you wrote for your school paper and had something printed save that copy and build up a nice folder etc. I too am a freelance Journalist, writing about entertainment and music and I have quite the portfolio for all of my work, I've had my work in print and online and have been running my blog site since 07.
2 :
Go to the bookstore or library and get a copy of a book called "Writer's Market." It's updated every year. It lists thousands of publications that accept freelance contributions. There are also some chapters with general information about freelancing that will answer the questions you asked above, and quite a few questions that you haven't thought of yet. You'll write in Microsoft Word, more than likely. You do not need InDesign or any other program that relates to page layout. They have graphic designers who do that. For a beginner, with no track record, I might as well tell you that the standard of living will be horrible. Every publication gets more offers than it could possibly publish. They'll look for established writers who they know can be counted on to produce good, interesting, accurate work, and turn it in on time. If you try hard enough, you can get an assignment as an unpublished writer, but it's likely to be the type of assignment that you work on for 20 hours, and spend $100 of your own money, and they pay you $150 -- if they accept the finished work. Chances of landing the cover story for Readers Digest or Playboy or Time are zero, at least not when you start. Later on, as you get better and better and make more contacts among editors, you can make a good income, but of course, you won't have any health insurance, pension plan, sick days, etc. As for starting your own magazine, you better have extremely deep pockets, identify a market segment that doesn't already have a great magazine, and know some people who are willing to bust their tails selling ads. In other words, forget it, because as an individual, it's all but impossible


 Read more discussions :