Friday, February 24, 2012

Should I include my three years at Cistercian and Benedictine monastery in my CV


Should I include my three years at Cistercian and Benedictine monastery in my CV?
At present I am covering the time with freelance jobs I did during the time and before. Still, the time looks a bit 'thin' on the CV, and with employers who do security scans (I am in finance) there is the awkward moment of having to 'confess'. People who advised me to hide the time from my CV said that it may be understood as hinting at a fickle character while others said it might be 'fascinating'. Doesanybody also know a better forum to ask this question?
Other - Careers & Employment - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have always found that your CV needs to be as accurate as possible. It will be far more troubling to explain the absence of this time than to discuss with a potential employer your motives for going to monasteries. Leaving it out suggests that you are trying to hide something. Not a good trait, especially in finance.
2 :
You'll probably get as many opinions on this as you get answers. My advice is not to hide the time but to use the reference to build your character as solid, reliable, pious, honest, etc...the virtues associated with monks. Do this for the same reason you add charitable, non-profit work on your CV. It gives you more experience to draw from and you can turn any of it to advantage in an interview. Most employers also require you to complete their own "application" in addition to submitting your CV or resume. They specifically require you to account for all your time and to explain "gaps" such as periods of unemployment, etc. Your time in the monastery will need to be mentioned there, so do it on the CV and save yourself the trouble of having to invent an explanation on the fly.
3 :
Yes, of course. There is nothing wrong with staying in a monastery. In fact, it could be a plus for you. Just have good reasons why your monastery stay was good for your self-development, etc. Peace and blessings!
4 :
Absolutely! A CV is only good for one thing and that is to get a job interview. Whenever I am going over CV's and candidates for a position I am looking for people who stand out, and this is just the type of experience which may lead to your next job. While some employers may not respect your time at the monastery, these are probably employers that you wouldn't feel comfortable work for as an employee. I work in the finance field and the best thing I ever put on my CV was the eight months I spent working in the Alaskan fishing fleet. It has proven memorable and a great talking point, just what you want on your CV. Good Luck



 Read more discussions :