Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How do employers really see full-time workers vs. their freelance or contract workers



How do employers really see full-time workers vs. their freelance or contract workers?
I freelance at an hourly rate at a small company (under 100 pple) doing Skill A. I'm overqualified but I took the job because I needed the money. I'm still job hunting, looking for a job where I can do Skill B, a more advanced skill I have experience in. My boss offered me full-time regular status. We negotiated $. The $ is less than I currently make. I asked for chances to do advanced Skill B, which is outside of the position. The boss said okay, which is good! The boss likes me; doesn't want to lose me. If I say yes, I'd feel trapped & like I'm cheating myself. I don't even want to do Skill A anymore. Lrger firms would offer the right $ for Skill B and better benefits. For FT status, I'd go for that. But right now, I have no other offers. If I say no, I'd keep my freedom, which I prefer, but wonder if my boss will look at me negatively, believe I'm not professional. Is my professional character at stake? What does being full-time regular really mean to an employer?
Careers & Employment - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you turn it down, then the employer knows that you'll be gone when you find what you're looking for - thus, they may build a contingency plan for when you leave. The boss is letting you do B because they know that you will leave otherwise. I've always treated my contractors and employees the same, however, the contract are more likely to get cut when budgets get tight. They make a higher $ wage than my employees, but my employees get retirement and other benefits my contractors don't get, so it balances out in the end



 Read more discussions :