Friday, April 4, 2008

Anyone ever gotten a job that wasnt what they majored in at school



Anyone ever gotten a job that wasnt what they majored in at school?
I graduated with an art degree but it seems i cant find work where I am and cant afford to wait for that job to come right now. Now im getting interviews for entry marketing. seems weird and kinda upsetting that I went to school for something I love and im not even using my degree. I plan to do freelance illustration on the side but its just weird. anyone going through this and have same thoughts on this
Other - Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Lots of people get jobs outside their degree to pay the bills. Don't feel bad, at least your degree is in something you can still do for fun on the side. Maybe someday you will have the opportunity to do art full time, but for now, at least you're qualified to do something that makes money!
2 :
you know, I have gotten several jobs that were outside of my degree. I went to school for Massage Therapy. Where I am originally from is Minnesota, and there you dont have to have any special license or anything to work a massage job. But when I moved to Wisconsin, everything changed, because now i have to be licensed, have liability insurance, pass the state and national tests and everything. That'll cost a bunch of money to do, like you said. So working for little piddly dead end jobs for the time being while you get everything going for your art degree to be put to use is fine. Just something to help pay the bills and get you a little more experience under your belt. Sure its not what you exactly want to do at the time being, but sometimes you have to suffer to get to where you need to be. Whether it means that you have to clean toilets or wipe peoples asses until your perfect job comes along, just bear with it. I know you can do it. Just have faith that something will come along.


 Read more discussions :