Tuesday, April 8, 2008

I am applying for a job as a reporter for a local paper. Will I get it


I am applying for a job as a reporter for a local paper. Will I get it?
I applied to be a freelance writer for a local paper until they dicide whether or not they like my work. I am a great writer but I have no experience professionally yet. I am just starting out. I sent them a sample of my work. I know I will raise the ratings of the paper if they hire me. I am nervouse because this job could be the break I am looking for.
Careers & Employment - 15 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
maybe
2 :
i think u might if u kno u love it do it good luc
3 :
You could get lucky
4 :
does it look like we can tell?
5 :
probably no
6 :
good luck, it's very tough without experience.
7 :
check out CBC. they have all sorts of opportunities
8 :
Wait. Stop before the last sentence. That's great! That's the confidence they want! Go in there with that attitude and tell them " I am a great writer but I have no experience professionally yet. I am just starting out. I [have] sent [you] a sample of my work. I know I will raise the ratings of the paper if [you] hire me." Forget the I am nervous...crap. Ooops, and spell check, spell check, spell check. (it's: decide and nervous not dicide and nervouse) Go get 'em!
9 :
Yes, you will get it..
10 :
My magic eight ball says YES.
11 :
I don't think (sorry) that they would put your right into a reporter position with no experience. They may have you do something else to build up some experience for a while first - but who knows.. they may like you and have the confidence that you will be great regardless and take a chance - which I hope for you. Either way - seel yourself.. Confidence not too cocky. Be clear about what you think you can do for them. Tell them the position would contribute to your personal and professional growth and that you are confident that you are the ideal candidate for the position. Make sure you send a thank you fax or email after you interview with them (id you do) and send a thank you letter if you get the job and even if you don't - never know if the person they hire does not work out - maybe they would call you then if you ask them to keep you on file. If you are not sure what to write (though you probably are =) just search the internet for sample letters on that topic. Make sure to proofread it over and over - don't want to apply for a writer position and then make a typo or some grammatical error in a letter to them. I would prepare a resume anyway - shows you are professional and if you have any kind of experience (school paper, college paper - something )- put it on there. Emphasize anything in a past job that may relate to something in this position - even skills like multi-tasking, organization, etc. A resume is always a must and a thank you letter sets you apart from all of the people who do not send one. Good luck!!
12 :
if you are confident that you can write well, then you certainly will succeed. believing in oneself is the key to success
13 :
As long as you are not one of those reporters who only writes what they are told to write without regard to the truth. You know, like almost every single thing out there in the mainstream media. I hope you are honest and cannot be bought. I'd hate to be wasting my time even typing to another traitor to humanity like the rest of the media. I hope you'll do a story on the TRUTH about 911 and tell your audience to look at the videos available on the Internet that prove BushCo was responsible for the attacks on 911. I hope you are NOT another liar.
14 :
You sure think highly of yourselves. I hope the paper does the same.
15 :
Good luck, I hope you do well. Confidence is everything. Motto - Fake it 'till you Make it! Anyway, if you don't get it, come to Drumheller, AB and work at the Valley Times



 Read more discussions :