Wednesday, June 24, 2009

When interviewer asks why I am leaving current job, will this answer be appropriate


When interviewer asks why I am leaving current job, will this answer be appropriate?
Hello, I am preparing for an interview tomorrow. Here's my deal: I was working at a place I hated for nearly 2 years (bad clients, disrespectful boss, no raises offered). I left it for a job I thought would be better but is not. I did not include my current position on my resume because I have only been here for 4 months or so, and it is unrelated to the job I am applying to. But if I get hired, I would want to give two weeks notice, so I was going to tell the interviewer that I am doing a freelance gig. If asked why I left my last job, I was going to say this "I left it because I found a freelance job as a marketing strategist, which is what I've been doing for the past couple of months. However, the gig is not turning out quite as I had expected. Moreover, it is not related to what I want to do which is what your company would provide." Is something like this appropriate?
Other - Careers & Employment - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It sounds good, but what if your caught out? maybe you should try another approach such as The current position I am holding with the past couple of months was neccessity to pay the bills while i searched for another job.? I know this isnt the right wording but you could improvise! Good Luck in the interview, Fingers crossed!!
2 :
Hmmm....you've made it complicated and it doesn't need to be. You may not know this, but when we call your previous employers...they can not tell us the "real" reason why you were released. All they can tell us is your job title, date you started, date your job ended and your job duties. So, you can tell them that the company downsized due to the poor economy and as a result you were released. If you don't want to tell them about your present job then don't. Just tell them you are not available to start working with them until 2 weeks after they notify you due to "personal reasons". Also, you never want to talk badly about your previous employers. There is no point in it and the interview really has no place to go with you complaining about your previous employers. The truth of the matter is...it's none of their business. We do ask...but you don't have to answer. Just tell them that the company downsized or changed management or anything other than complain about bad clients and disrespectful bosses. Because any place you go to work at is going to have the same issues and the person interviewing you knows this. So don't tell them that.
3 :
It sounds fine what you are saying. Just be honest about it


 Read more discussions :