Wednesday, July 1, 2009

I have full time telecommuting job. Is it legal to get another full time job


I have full time telecommuting job. Is it legal to get another full time job?
For this new job, I need to be in the office. But I think I can handle telecommuting job before/after work or during weekend. (I just need to get things done. When I work is not terribly important for telecommuting job.) Is this Legal? I am reading lots of posts that it is in yahoo answers page, but also saw someone saying it is not legal. I can't find legal documents that states it is legal or illegal. Am I required to tell my employers? They are in different industry and not competitor whatsoever. (no conflict of interest in that matter) I really want to know definite answer. I read people who have done it, but it looks like it is in different shift like 9am-5pm, 6pm-2am. In my case, it can overlap, in somewhat similar like a writer for wallstree journal (I am not writer) writing for another freelance job while he is in the office... Thanks in advance. I don't know how this will turn out, I might quit one job (most likely) in a few months IF I can't handle both Yes, It is legitimate full time position. I get salary and small year end bonus. I have not signed any kind of agreement other than standard employment agreement which didn't say anything about not having another job...
Law & Legal - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
That would depend upon whether or not you signed a contract or agreement with your current employer. If it is a legitimate employment position, (W-4, etc) you may not be allowed to take another position.... You would need to refer to any agreement you signed. If there were no agreements signed, please refer to the rules or Policy of the company you work for. If you are working by commission, you very well may be able to do just that...get another. The company I work for is hiring, and offering new employee referral bonuses to current employees, but we are not allowed to work for another cstrmr. ser. agency while working for them....cloud10corp.com Good Luck, hope this helps with the answer Linda Reynolds
2 :
if you are getting paid for a full time job already and you take on another full time job, it is illegal. you could be charged with theft of your companys time that they paid you for. You may be getting all of your work done but they are paying for your time as well.
3 :
Please go through your contract of employment with the present employer. When you have signed and accepted the terms of an appointment order , it means that You will not engage in any other work or carry out any other business except with the permission of the company. If you choose to work at two places , it is perse illegal and it amounts to gross misconduct



 Read more discussions :