Tuesday, December 28, 2010

What are some good ways to get started as a freelance writer



What are some good ways to get started as a freelance writer?
I have been interested in a while, and just want to do it for my own satisfaction (it will not be my sole or even a major source of income). I have only a few small publishing credits (poetry) and would like to get involved more in nonfiction/aricle writing. Can anyone recommend some good sites or other sources that list jobs/submission guidelines that are reputable and good for beginners? Again, I'm not in this for the money, to get a ton published or to be a famous big time writer...just looking to expand my writing hobby (and the training I've gotten through my writing minor) as it is something I enjoy and am fairly decent at. I will take your scenario into consideration, as our educaitonal system is in the same boat.
Books & Authors - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Run, run like hell. Trust me on this. I am freelancing with seven years of experience under my belt and there is just nothing worth pursuing anymore. People don't care to pay writers what they rightfully deserve and amateurs with no clue what they're doing are all too willing to accept Wal-Mart greeter wages for their efforts. Believe me, it's an insult to those who have spent years honing their craft. If you are set on it though, browse Craigslist for small projects. I emphasize small because your lack of experience may be a detriment. Just please, please, PLEASE do not be one of those writers who will accept $5-10 for an article. At minimum you should be asking at least $50 an article and even that is low. I have been told Associated Content is decent but I am not completely sold. It's not easy out there for writers with clout and a decent portfolio these days. We're being overrun by hacks who have no business writing. And yes, I am a bit miffed and a bit bitter but for damn good reason.
2 :
There are many different options for someone trying to break into the writing business. These websites could help. Oboulo.com is a publicly authored, publicly accessible database covering a wide array of topics. Each time you publish a paper, article, presentation etc. on the website, you will receive $15.00 in royalties. Create an account and enter ambassador # 9590ba to earn $15 per published article. After connecting to the site, you will be asked to enter an ambassador number. By entering ambassador# 9590ba you'll receive $15 per document published. This is a good place to start to get your name out there and some published articles under your belt. Next, go to the Associated Content website and sign up as a writer. Submit as many articles as you can. The payment varies, but they are generous. Good luck!
3 :
hi The best site I have found for guidance on getting involved with freelance writing is: www.thewritingmercenary.com There are 100s of ways to make money from writing, and 100s of different approaches getting where you want to be. This site covers a lot of them. As a freelancer myself, I agree with the first answer in that writers don't get paid a whole lot.... but if a product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, then it seems odd for the producer to decide on the market value. The trouble is that there are more writers than gigs, so the mean price drops. c'est la vie.... Go for it. If writing is your passion then be passionate about it..... all the bes



 Read more discussions :