Monday, May 16, 2011

I want this job, but I don't want to look overqualified, is it wrong NOT to mention I'm a college graduate


I want this job, but I don't want to look overqualified, is it wrong NOT to mention I'm a college graduate?
I'm 26, and I've been self-employed for 4 years. I'm an accountant, and I do freelance accounting jobs. Business has not been bad lately, but I've had way too many unexpected expenses pop up. I need some extra money. I can't go through the long process of going to interviews to get a job as an accountant, I need a job NOW. I was thiking of asking for work at Wal Mart on the night-shift. I was thiking it would be fun to work on the warehouse lifting and carrying stuff. I was in my college swim-team, I'm pretty strong, yet I've never had a job that involves physical work. But I'm affraid if they know I'm an accountant, they might not hire me for being overqualified. Is it wrong to NOT to mention anything about my college education, and accounting work experience? Is that unethical?
Other - Careers & Employment - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
No, it's not wrong, but if asked you should answer honestly. Ironically, I am in the opposite position as you in terms of employment, I didn't finish college, and you can bet I don't make it a point to mention that at interviews.
2 :
try to apply for alljobsretail.com or job.com or theladders.com online. it wont hurt to mention being a college graduate because you might be considered for a higher paying job. you can also try merchandisers.com.
3 :
No. It would be wrong if you stated you had a degree when you didn't. But you can omit any information you want. Not mentioning anything about your college education is not bad. Sometimes you have to a little editing to increase your chances of getting a job. I mean if your college program has nothing to do with the job functions at Wal-mart don't put it. It would only make them wonder why this college educated person with accounting experience is applying for a job at Wal-mart.
4 :
I am not sure if they would really care if you are overqualified, WalMarts seem to be short staffed lately, but I suppose it depends on whom youre speaking to. Personally, I dont see a problem with ignoring that youre a graduate. If they dont even ask you, what's to feel guilty about? However, on the off chance that they do ask you, dont lie, but dont go into detail



Read more discussions :