Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Freelance Graphic Designers ~ How much should I charge


Freelance Graphic Designers ~ How much should I charge?
So I've just landed my 1st really quite decently sized job and I don't know how much to charge. Part of me wants to charge less because I'm grateful for the experience and the work for my portfolio, but the other part of me wants decent pay too, of course. I work full-time as a graphic designer and make shit money. I know some g.d.s charge anywhere between 50 - 100 per hour but I'm sort of just starting out. Any suggestions? Many thanks! I might add that they want a post card, a type of flyer and a mini package to hand out for their new catering department of this restaurant. the package would be for potential clients. the post card would be emailed. the flyer would just be 1 to have at the front entrance of their restaurant. and they need some photography done.....
Careers & Employment - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
since you just starting out you should charge flat fee.
2 :
If you know your competition is charging $50 to $100 an hour, and you're just starting out....why not charge $50 and as you gain more customers, a year from now, go up in price to $55. You can also make some extra money perhaps by charging 50 cents a mile in traveling, parking charges, photo proofs ($2.50 a pic), expenses for "office supplies" and such, since they can add up too. Don't charge by the 1/4 hour, but by the 1/2 hour (you're not a lawyer...so I've learned from my business). If you have Quick Books, it's a great program for a small business so you can make professional looking invoices along with keeping track of who has paid you and who hasn't. Good luck there! Sounds like a fun business



 Read more discussions :