Sunday, September 20, 2009

Graphic Designers!! Please critique my online portfolio ~ and suggestions on graphic design job hunting



Graphic Designers!! Please critique my online portfolio ~ and suggestions on graphic design job hunting?
http://www.kotographics.com I also just need to make sure everything works right. This is a site I created to show my work and also do graphic design work for small business as a side freelance job. Please feel free to browse through it and I would also appreciate constructive criticisms on my work. I just graduated with my graphic design degree, and need to find a job in the field. I have been searching, but it is very tough. Does anybody have suggestions on finding a job. Any graphic designers want to share their story? Thanks so much in advance! I do the website with my fiancé, we are both in the about us section, and each piece is identified when who designed it.
Other - Visual Arts - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I only looked quickly, but... the second web page is cut off and very small. Hard to see what's going on there. I like the Nine West ad, but the 50% off was tracked/kerned badly and looks off. Why are you "kimberly" here and have a self portrait on your portfolio of a guy? ETA - When looking for a job, check and see if there are any openings for Production Artists. You learn TONS and develop mad skills. Basically, your job is to fix and clean up the work of the designers and make it ready for final (web, print, whatever). You can freelance on the side and keep looking while you get experience in the field.
2 :
Kimberly, First of all If you knew me you would know that i am always incredibly honest and will always tell it like it it. I come from a creative background - an art/photography degree and i have been a director of advertising and creative for a fortune 400 company, so i do have some experience in your field. I think the website looks good... i will make some small comments that could make it a bit better.. The lead in page is nicely designed - i do love a monochromatic pallet but have to say it really comes off as very bland and institutional. I would somehow add a hint of color to it.. Perhaps even those filigree swirls in the upper and lower corners.. also i think if the word Koto was in a color it would be catch your eye and literally burn the name KOTO into your memory. ( thats a GOOD thing) I would go thru the site and not list each of your names on the work - you are now ONE company and are looking for freelance work. by listing what the artists name is on each piece it does not appear unified and as professional as it could be. no need to list each of your names... either of you could have done any of the work.. sell it as a unified company. It would also make it difficult if you were hired as KOTO to do a job and they said they wanted you and NOT your fiance.. it will make you more unified. After you select an individual piece in the portfolio I would place a "back to portfolio" button there on the page - yes i know i can hit back and i know i can go to the left margin and hit portfolio again.. but a simple button would make it more direct. also on certain pages ( tapatio cliffs for example - if there could be a button that enlarges the brochure that would be great - also I HAVE been to the Tapatio Cliffs resort... i was in also in charge of convention site selection and have visted most of the hotels in the phoenix area - my ultimate favorite - at least in design - the biltmore. ;- In regards to the projects - I wouldn't define that they were jobs or school projects i would just list what they are - your not lying if you dont say more.. you have plenty of time during an oral presentation to explain that these were virtual assignments or projects for certain classes. Let people looking at the site think you did the work your not lying at all... In regards to "about us"... the pic of you guys is great.. but from a business point of view I would use a face pic of each of you individually with a small bio next to each name.. just overall sharper and more professional.. Hey listen - no offense at any of my comment the site is nice enough as it is.. In my career i have hired designers and small agencies/freelancers all the time and would look at their websites to size them up - I am just telling you the things i would look at if i were approaching your site with a business eye.... in regards to work... im sure as most industries have seen its probably a tough market.. BUT that could work for you as freelancers. I would do up a nice three page brochure with business cards and try doing some research as to who are the decision makers are at some BIG companies or corporations around you. they are always looking to save money and hiring a talented cost effective freelance group instead of a high priced agency - at least for smaller projects is a PLUS for them. IN your brochure state that you are cost effective and can deliver results with quick turnaround. Best of luck....



 Read more discussions :