Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Can I still collect unemployment even if I accept a freelance position to help pay my bills


Can I still collect unemployment even if I accept a freelance position to help pay my bills?
I live in California and I just got laid off. As we all know, California is expensive. I am about to collect unemployment but someone is offering me a temporary job? Will I still be able to collect the unemployment?
Personal Finance - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Legally and morally I would say no. Unemployment means it is money to help fill the gap till you land a job. Temporary is still a job. If it is too expensive to live there consider moving
2 :
FYI: When you fill out the continued claim form it asks you "Did you work or earn any money whether you were paid or not", the claim form is a legal document. If it is found that you worked and earned money you will be subject to pay back the money you were over paid and will also be stuck with penalty weeks you have to serve before you will be able to get paid. If you work freelance, just make sure you report that you worked. You may have to go thru an interview and they will deduct a portion of what you earned from your weekly benefit amount. EXAMPLE: if your wba is 200 and you earn 100 working freelance they will deduct 75 from the wba leaving you with 125 paid on your wba. So for that week you would be making 225 from both your freelance work and u.i. benefits



 Read more discussions :